Best Steam Press Iron: Reviews and Recommendations 2020
We all have a household iron in our home, whether we use it or not. However, with newer inventions coming out every month, this simple household tool has changed over time.
No one uses a conventional iron anymore when you can get a much better steam press iron at the same price. These irons work with steam instead of plain heat, which is both quicker and easier to handle.
Especially if you use an iron professionally, it’s the best steam press that you need. For professional pressing and ironing, screen printing, iron-on transferring and other jobs related to an iron, you’ll need a great steam press machine to help you.
Big or small, you can find a lot of different steam press machines in the market, but not all of them would be the right one for you or your business.
Need a quick suggestion? Check these top 3 steam presses!
Top 10 Best Steam Press For the Money
To find the best steam press machine for your personal or professional use, you’ll of course need to know exactly what you need in a steam press and what you can do with it. You’ll find all the details here in this article.
1. Singer | Magic ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press
Singer doesn’t just make sewing machines, but also other gadgets and tools you’re going to need for related businesses. For example, this electronic and portable steam press machine that you can use for pressing and ironing your clothes, as well as for iron-on transferring your designs to a T-shirt.
This machine gives you absolutely professional looking pressing right at home within a few seconds and doesn’t take up a lot of space on your tables or counters.
The Singer Magic Electronic Steam Press comes with a large pressing area that is 14 times longer than the size of a conventional household iron. Not just large, you can press your clothes in half the time, as this electronic press will decrease your work time by 50%.
All you need to do is to lay down your shirts, pants, skirts, bedsheet or T-shirts on the pressing area and pull the top down, and the machine will take care of the rest. You can choose from the multiple settings available in this steam press for different types of clothes, from nylon to cotton, silk to nylon. Any fabric can be easily pressed in this machine easily and safely if you simply choose the right settings.
The moment that you close the lid of the steam press over your clothes, a powerful jet of steam comes out from the machine that can get rid of all kinds of wrinkles from all fabric types.
The Singer Magic ESP-2 will shut down automatically after a while due to unuse, with an audible alarm, so there is no chance of your clothes getting burned or stained if you happen to forget about the machine.
The aluminum base of the steam press keeps your clothes steady, even when you are using it on a soft platform, like on your bed. Since it is a very lightweight and portable machine, you can simply lock the handle and carry it with you wherever you are going.
This portable also comes with free accessories such as a pressing cushion, a measuring cup and a spray bottle.
- Portable and lightweight
- 14 times longer than conventional iron
- Pressing are: 24”x9”
- Quick; decreases your work time by 50%
- Can be used on all kind of fabrics and clothes
- Releases steam whenever you want
- Locking the handles together makes it portable
- Auto shut-off with audible alarm
- Accurate temperature settings to choose from
- Comes with free pressing accessories, spray bottle and measuring cup
- Doesn’t require a lot of force or strength
2. Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press
Sleek and elegant - this steam press machine from Steamfast has a 25”x10.5” pressing surface, much larger than the area covered by a conventional iron.
It comes with a water tank with a 10-ounce capability for you to fill up when needed; the water heats up in less than 3 minutes to provide ample amounts of steam to your clothes.
You can choose from 5 different temperature settings for 5 types of fabric, namely: cotton, nylon, silk, linen and wool. The handle gives out two powerful bursts of steam every time you close it, removing any trace of wrinkles from your clothes.
All you need to do is to place your fabric on the non-stick surface and close the handle, and the steam press will do the rest of the job. The handle also comes with a press lock feature which makes this tool a portable one.
You can carry it with you while travelling, to work or anywhere. This press comes with a 2-year warranty in case something happens to the steam press machine, which is highly unlikely. A very helpful customer service based in Andover, Kansas is available 24/7 to help you out with any malfunctions or problems.
The Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press machine comes with multiple free accessories that will be very helpful, namely a measuring cup, a pressing cushion and a spray bottle.
- Portable steam press machine
- Lightweight at 12 pounds
- Covers a larger space than a conventional iron
- Has a 25”x10.5” pressing area
- Comes with 5 temperature settings
- Can be used on nylon, silk, wool, cotton and linen
- Handle can be locked to make press machine portable
- Cleans and presses fabric without needing any chemicals
- Helpful customer service
- Comes with a measuring cup, pressing cushion and spray bottle
- Comes with a press lock feature on the handle
- Two jets of steam comes out of the handle
- Comes with a 10-ounce water tank
- Water heats up in less than 3 minutes
3. Speedy Press Oversized Iron Press
As you can probably guess from the name, this steam press iron is indeed quite larger - larger than any conventional household iron or even other steam press machines. You can use this machine to iron and press not just your personal clothes, but also larger items such as bed sheets, table clothes, drapes and curtains.
You can even press multiple clothing items at the same time, as the pressing area is large enough to accommodate multiple pieces of clothing.
If you need to iron or press clothes professionally or if you have to work on a large number of clothing every day, this is the right steam iron press for you. It cuts back on your ironing and pressing time considerably as it doesn’t take a lot of time to go through a whole load of clothing.
The pressing area is approximately 35.5” in length and 12.5” in breadth, large enough for everything. The top part of the steam press releases multiple bursts of steam when you are closing the press, which automatically removes any trace of wrinkles from your clothes.
You can choose between automatic or manual steam release features, as well as the temperature for different fabric types. This steam press machine can be used on nylon, wool, silk, cotton and linen, and also perfect for delicate and small pieces of clothings.
The lower portion of the steam press machine is covered with a full-length Teflon heating pad, over a heat reflective base plate. You can use this machine for as long as you need it, without any kind of wear and tear on the Teflon body. Besides, this steam press machine comes with a spray bottle, a measuring cup, a tank filler, a pressing board cover and an extra pressing cushion.
- Larger than other steam press machines
- 35” in length and 12.5” in breadth
- Can be used to press multiple pieces of clothing at the same time
- Can be used to press bed sheets, drapes and table clothes
- Choice between manual and automatic steam release
- Can be used on nylon, wool, silk, cotton and linen
- Perfect for delicate and small clothings
- Full-length Teflon heating pad
- Comes with a heat reflective base plate
- comes with a spray bottle, a measuring cup, a tank filler, a pressing board cover and an extra pressing cushion
4. Steamfast SP-660 Steam Press
As with all Steamfast press machines, you get a 2-year warranty with the Steamfast SP-680, as well. It comes with a water tank with 10-ounce capacity, and the water can heat up in less than 3 minutes for your steam.
You can press different fabric types in this machine, including nylon, silk, wool, cotton and linen; there are multiple temperature settings to choose from, based on the type of fabric you are using.
The lower part of the steam press machine has a non-stick surface; it is 22” in length and 8.7” in breadth, big enough for your clothes and other pieces of fabric needed around the house.
You can also carry this portable steam press with you when you are travelling, simply by enabling the press lock feature. Besides, this steam press comes with a spray bottle, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion.
There are two steam burst buttons on the top portion of the steam press; the buttons are located in the handles that you can press with either hand, and a (or two) burst of steam will get rid of any kind of wrinkles on your clothes.
- Portable and lightweight
- Has a 22” x 8.7” pressing area
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Comes with a 10-ounce water tank
- Water can get heated in less than 3 minutes
- Comes with a free spray bottle, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion
- 2 steam burst buttons on the handle
- Can be used on nylon, silk, wool, cotton and linen
- Comes with 5 fabric settings
- Non-stick pressing plate
5. Compact Ironing Steam Press
Speedypress has always been quite well-known for manufacturing household irons and related tools, and the Compact Ironing Steam Press is proof of that. This is quite a large steam press that is 21.6” in length and 8.6” in breadth - large enough for not just your clothes, but also for curtains, drapes and bed sheets. In fact, it is 7 times longer than the area covered by a conventional iron.
You can use this steam press for normal ironing or for steam pressing. The handle comes with two buttons with either side; pressing these buttons releases multiple bursts of speed inside the iron. These bursts of steam that can get rid of any wrinkles you have on your clothes very quickly.
You can simply iron your clothes by heat instead of using steam with this iron, as well. It is lightweight and portable, and you can set up this iron anywhere: on a table, on a bed or on any counter. You can travel with it if you want to, to keep your clothes wrinkle free and fresh for business trips and meetings.
Ironing with this steam press is not just easy, but also fast. This steam iron reduces ironing time by a significant amount, making your job easier. You can iron a large number of clothes in a very little time with this steam press machine.
It comes with temperature indicators, multiple temperature settings and can be used to iron delicate fabrics. With this steam iron, you also get a free spray bottle, an extra cover and a foam underfelt, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion.
- 21.6” in length and 8.6” in breadth
- 7 times larger than the area of a conventional iron
- Comes with temperature control and multiple temperature settings
- Comes with two buttons on the handle to release steam
- Can be used as a conventional heat iron
- Multiple bursts of steam from inside the iron
- Lightweight and portable
- Can be carried around and travelled with
- Extremely fast operation
- Can be used on delicate fabric and clothing
- Comes with a free spray bottle, an extra cover and a foam underfelt, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion
6. Sienna Elite SSP-2202 Digital Steam Press
With this seam press, you get an extremely wide temperature range, from 212℉ to 410℉, as well as a large pressing surface area of 25” length and 10” breadth. This steam press is extremely fast, and can cut your working time by 60%; you’ll need to spend much less time on ironing than normal when you use this steam press iron.
This steam iron has been manufactured with the latest cutting edge technology available these days, and can eliminate any kind of wrinkles on your clothes. A button on the handle will unleash a powerful burst of steam on your clothes; you can control this button with your hands easily.
You can also control the temperature setting of this iron for different kinds of fabric types and their softness; several digital buttons at the front help you to select the necessary modes very easily.
A 10-ounce water tank at the bottom fills up nicely to take care of all the steam you need for your press ironing. You can iron an entire shirt or a pair of pants at one go, saving a lot of your time.
- Long 25” length of iron press with a 10” breadth
- Comes with a 10-ounce water tank
- Cuts back ironing time by 60%
- Button on the handle for multiple bursts of steam
- Multiple temperature control
- Digital buttons at the front
- Compatible with silk, nylon, wool, cotton and linen
- Automatic shut-off feature when inactive
- Audible alarm when machine shuts off
- 100 pounds of pressure on your clothes
- Sturdy locking handle
- Comes with a spray bottle, pressing cushion and water fill cup
- Portable and convenience of travelling
- Temperature selection range from 212℉ to 410℉
7. Steamfast SF-623 Mid-Size Steam Press
This steam press iron from Steamfast isn’t just efficient and practical, but also extremely stylish to look at. Black and sleek - you can keep it in your home for all your pressing needs, or even travel with it when you need.
It comes with a 5.07-ounce water tank that you can fill up and heat in less than 3 minutes, for all the steam you need for your steam pressing. The iron will shut off in a few minutes automatically when not in use; so, if you mistakenly keep it running, it will shut-off automatically after a while.
The SF-623 comes with 5 fabric settings, for silk,nylon, cotton, wool and linen. You get two buttons on either side of the handle that releases multiple bursts of steam from the top part of the press.
The pressing surface is non-stick and has an area of 20”x8” - big enough for most clothing items and household items. It can easily fit inside your closet or even your luggage, as you can take this steam press with you on your business trips. This steam press gives you a professional work quality, regardless of the work that you do.
With this steam press, you get a spray bottle, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion - all accessories you’re going to need to use this steam press.
- Elegant color and style
- 20”x8” non-stick pressing area
- Comes with 5 fabric settings
- Compatible with nylon, silk, wool, cotton and linen
- Steam burst buttons available on both sides of the handle
- Comes with a spray bottle, a measuring cup and a pressing cushion
- Can be easily stored in a closet
- Comes with a 5.07-ounce water tank
- Water heats up in less than 3 minutes
- Meets U.S. voltage requirements
- Certified and safety-tested in the U.S.
8. Sunbeam Handheld Garment Travel Steam Press
Portable, small and lightweight - this travel steam press has been designed for your business meetings, vacations and travels. Weighing only 3 pounds, it can be extremely useful in keeping your clothes wrinkle free and fresh-looking anytime you want.
The water inside heats up in less than 45 minutes and gives you steam almost instantly. With this simple steam press, you can get 15 minutes of continuous steam for your clothes.
This portable steam press is perfect for you to take to hotel rooms and vacation homes. With the steam produced by this steam press, you won’t just be able to remove wrinkles from your clothes, but also remove odor from your room, and deep clean your bedding, towels and blankets from bed bugs and dust mites.
Using this portable steam press is extremely easy, as well. All you need to do is to hang your clothes and run the steam press along the fabric. The wide, heated press bar will get rid of all the wrinkles on your clothes in a matter of minutes.
The steam press has been designed to stay standing, which is a great help in hotel rooms and bathrooms. You can keep it standing anywhere when not using it if there’s a flat surface. Not just for travelling, you can use the Sunbeam Handheld Steam Press for cleaning and steam pressing your wall hangings, drapes and curtains.
- Portable and travel-friendly
- Weighs only 3 pounds
- Small and can be easily put inside a luggage
- Can be kept standing on any flat surface
- Perfect for business trips, meetings and holidays
- Can be used to remove wrinkles and odor from hanging clothes
- Can be used to remove bed bugs and dust mites from hotel beds, towels and blankets
- Heats up in less than 45 minutes
- Gives 15 minutes of simultaneous steam from one heating
- Can be used to remove wrinkles from drapes, curtains and wall hangings
9. Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100
If you need an efficient steam press for professional pressing or if you need one for pressing thick and large fabric, this is the right steam press machine for you. The Janome EP-100 is an industrial-level heat press machine that can be used to press up to 8 layers of fabric at once.
Janome, the brand notable for making industrial sewing machines, has designed and manufactured this heat press machine that can be used both at home and professionally.
This steam press machine is compatible with five different fabric types: cotton, nylon, silk, linen and wool. There is a mechanical temperature control at the front of the steam press that you can use to choose between the various options.
With a 26” long pressing surface, this steam press is 10x larger than any conventional iron. It’s total dimension is 26” x 21.7” x 8.5”; this steam press is actually quite large compared to similar machines.
This steam press shuts off automatically after a few minutes of inactivity, which significantly reduces the chances of accidents. It is quite heavy at almost 30 pounds, which makes it better for use at home or work rather than being carried around.
You can iron anything in this steam press very easily, from bed sheets and cushion covers, to shirts, pants and skirts, as well as ties and ribbons. This steam press can be used to press delicate and soft materials as well as extremely hard and thick ones.
Not just for personal use, this steam press from Janome is also perfect for iron-on transfers, patches, iron-on rhinestone applications and interfacing.
- Both for personal and industrial use
- Can be used to iron 8 layers of fabric at one time
- Compatible with 5 types of fabric: wool, silk, cotton, nylon and linen
- Has a 26” long pressing surface
- Dimension: 26” x 21.7” x 8.5”
- Heavy at 30 pounds weight
- Shuts off automatically after a few minutes of inactivity
- Can be used to iron both thick and delicate clothes
- Can be used for patches, iron-on transfers and iron-on rhinestone applications
10. Two-in-One Compact Ironing Steam Press
This is not just a steam iron, but a complete steam press iron set that comes with a stand. The steam press ideally sits on the top of the stand, but you can also place it on any other surface while working - your bed, dining table, work table or kitchen counter.
The steam iron itself is portable even if the stand stays in one place. The steam press uses 1350 watts of power and can effectively de-wrinkle your clothes so that they look perfect and fresh at all times.
The stand is a telescopic one, which means that you can adjust the height downwards or upwards to fit your own height. It is durable and built to last, and will not topple or wiggle when you are working with it. You can adjust it from 26” to 3 feet if you either want to sit or stand while working with this steam press.
The steam press itself comes with multiple fabric options and a mechanical temperature contrrol at the front, which is easy to use. Two buttons on the handle releases powerful bouts of steam on your clothes to remove any traces of wrinkles from them, and the entire work is done in a matter of minutes. With this steam press, you get a pressing cushion, a spray bottle and a water filler for free.
- Comes with a steam press and a stand
- Telescopic stand can be shifted both upwards and downwards to suit your height
- Can be used while sitting or standing
- Steam press can be removed to use on any other surface
- Comes with a 10-ounce water tank
- Stand can be adjusted from 26” to 3 feet height
- Comes with multiple fabric options
- Comes with mechanical control at the front
- Two steam buttons on the handle
- Multiple steam buttons inside the steam press
These are the ten best steam press irons that are available in the market presently, each one efficient and affordable. One or more of these steam press irons would surely be the right one for you if you know exactly what you want.
Best Steam Press Buying Guide
Most steam press irons in the market come with similar features; therefore, it’s not hard to choose one between them based on their qualities. However, if you want to decide on a model from the rest, it is important that you know exactly what you are looking for.
The size of the pressing surface is what makes these steam press irons different from other conventional and household irons. Unlike the regular irons that we see in most homes, steam irons come with a longer pressing surface.
They are usually so long that you can place an entire piece of clothing inside the machine and steam press it at one time, without having to move the iron around with your hands.
A steam press iron usually has between a 20” long pressing surface to a 35” one, and everything in between. The Speedy Press Oversized Iron Press, for example, has a 35” long pressing surface and the Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100 has a 26” long pressing surface, which are the two longest models.
On the other hand, the Steamfast SP-660 Steam Press has a 22” long surface and the Compact Ironing Steam Press has a 21.6” long pressing surface, which are two of the smallest ones.
The breadth of the pressing surface also happens to be important, and the widest ones are Speedy Press Oversized Iron Press with 12.5” breadth and the Sienna Elite SSP-2202 Digital Steam Press with a 10” breadth.
Most of these steam press irons are also portable, which means that you can use them anywhere around the house. Some also happen to be lightweight, so that you can carry it around with you with your hands or in your luggage.
If you use these steam press irons professionally, you may need to carry it with you to work or while travelling, which makes its portability a very useful feature.
What makes a steam press iron portable is when you can lock it effectively by the handles. This feature is available in almost all the models, namely the Singer | Magic ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press, the Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press, theSpeedy Press Oversized Iron Press and the Steamfast SP-660 Steam Press. These are all models that can be locked by the handle and carried with you.
It is especially the Sunbeam Handheld Garment Travel Steam Press that is portable and lightweight, perfect for travelling with. It weighs only 3 pounds and is actually a travel-friendly model that you can easily put inside your bag.
Compatibility and Temperature Control
Most steam press irons are compatible with different types of fabrics, namely cotton, wool, silk, nylon and linen. These are usually the types of fabrics we use every day, and the right steam press irons will be compatible with all of these fabric types.
You get both mechanical and digital temperature controls with each steam press iron, i.e. the Singer | Magic ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press and the Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press both have digital controls, while the Compact Ironing Steam Press and the Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100 have mechanical temperature controls.
Both mechanical and digital temperature controls work the same way when it comes to steam press irons.
Water Tank and Steam Capacity
Steam press irons come with a water tank that you can fill up, and steam is created when this water is heated up. Although the water tank capacity in most steam press irons are usually the same, there are some slight differences when it comes to the water heating up, steam capacity and time.
The Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press, for example, comes with a 10-ounce water tank and the water requires less than 3 minutes to heat up and convert into steam; it’s the same with the Steamfast SP-660 Steam Press.
The Sienna Elite SSP-2202 Digital Steam Press, on the other hand, comes with a 15.2-ounce water tank that you can fill up to produce steam. The higher the capacity of the water tank, the longer you can work with the steam press iron without having to refill it.
Steam Release Buttons
With most steam press irons, the button to release steam is on either side of the handle connected to the top part of the machine. This can be seen on the Two-in-One Compact Ironing Steam Press, the Steamfast SF-623 Mid-Size Steam Press and the Compact Ironing Steam Press.
Some other useful features that most steam press irons have include:
- Auto shut-off when press has been inactive for some time
- Audible alarm sound
- Speedy application that reduces working time by hours
- Compatibility with stands
- Pressure needed to press clothes
- Thickness of fabric compatible with the steam press
- Free accessories
- Safety lock, etc.
Since the features available in most steam press irons are somewhat similar, the model you should end up choosing would probably depend on the price. Your budget will dictate which steam press iron would be the perfect one for you since they are all somewhat similar in terms of features and quality.
What are the Popular brands: Which one to suggest?
When it comes to anything that’s electric or electronic, or runs on electricity, it is best to choose one from a renowned brand. Of course, when you are spending a good amount of money on the purchase of one of these steam press irons, you’d want your tool to come from a popular brand, too.
While many brands such as Philips, Black and Decker, Sharp and Panasonic manufacture conventional household irons, you don’t really see steam press irons from these brands in the market. In fact, not many international brands make large steam press irons that can be used both professionally and in a house.
When it comes to long and large steam press irons, you see names like Steamfast, Speedypress and Sienna who are quite well known. Of the reputed brands, you can find steam press irons from Singer and Jenome. These are both brands that produce sewing machines for personal and industrial productions.
Most garment industries around the world use sewing machines from these two brands, as well as the steam press irons. The Singer | Magic ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press and the Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100 are the two steam press irons from these brands. They are both extremely efficient heavy-duty tools that will give you wrinkle-free clothes for years.
The Singer | Magic ESP-2 Electronic Steam Press has a pressing surface of 24” x 9”, and can decrease your work time by 50%. It works on all kinds of fabrics, and comes with an automatic shut-off feature if you leave it on for some minutes.
The Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100, on the other hand, is slightly longer, with a pessing surface area of 26” x 21.7” 8.5”. It is 10 times the size of a conventional iron and can press up to 8 layers of fabric at the same time. This particular feature of the Janome Artistic Elna Heat Press EP-100 makes it suitable to be used in pressing heavy fabrics or in a factory.
Beside these two notable brands, there are three models from Steamfast, namely the Steamfast SF-623, the Steamfast SP-660 and the Steamfast SF-680. These are all efficient and affordable models that differ slightly in terms of their pressing surface areas.
The Steamfast SF-680 Digital Steam Press is the largest of these three, with a pressing surface area of 25” x 10.5”; it is also compatible with 5 different types of fabrics and comes with numerous free accessories.
Another notable brand is Speedypress, with three notable models: the Two-in-One Compact Ironing Steam Press, the Compact Ironing Steam Press and the Speedy Press Oversized Iron Press. Just like Steamfast, Speedy Pres is also an affordable brand with models that have similar features.
The Speedy Press Oversized Iron Press is the largest one from this brand, with a pressing area of 35.5” x 12.25”; it is perfect not just for pressing your clothes, but also drapes, curtains, tapestries, bed sheets and large towels.
Other noteworthy models discussed in this article is the Elite SSP-2202 Digital Steam Press from Sienna Appliances and the Handheld Garment Travel Steam Press from Sunbeam. The Elite SSP-2202 comes with a 25” long pressing surface and a temperature range between 212℉ to 410℉.
The Travel Steam Press from Sunbeam, on the other hand, is completely different. It is small and portable, and weighs only 3 pounds; you can carry it with you anywhere, to business meetings, vacations or dates, and de-wrinkle the clothes you are already wearing when needed.
If you have the budget, you should of course consider the steam press irons from the two most popular and well-known brands: Singer and Janome.
However, they are quite expensive compared to the other brands like Speedy Press and Steamfast, Sunbeam or Sienna Appliance, which are relatively much more affordable.
These brands are also efficient in steam pressing your clothes, regularly and frequently, and in bulk. In fact, all ten of the models mentioned in this article are quite exceptional when you are looking for a steam press machine.
How Does a Steam Press Work?
A steam press works under the same principle as a conventional steam iron we use in our homes, but the use is different. In fact, it is easier to use a steam press to iron your clothes than to do the same with a conventional iron; a steam press actually saves your time and effort, and is more effective.
Sometimes, your clothes get more wrinkles than you can remove with a conventional iron. If you have a simple conventional iron, it would take you a lot of time and strength to remove all the wrinkles, especially if you are working with silk or linen.
A steam press iron, on the other hand, can actually finish the job in a matter of seconds. Besides, some wrinkles are so stubborn that you can only remove them using steam, and not just heat. This is where you need the help of a steam press iron.
Your expensive linen and silk dresses are often safer at the hands of a professional dry cleaner than under your household iron. If you have a steam press at home, you can use it on any kind of fabric, including linen and silk. Therefore, even if a steam press is expensive, it is going to save a lot of money in the long run.
How a Steam Press Works?
A steam press iron works with a combination of steam and pressure. Most steam press irons come with a small water tank that needs to be filled with water; the water is converted into steam inside the machine that is released on your clothes.
Steam causes the fabric to soften, and the pressure from the top part of the steam press straightens the clothes and removes the wrinkles. The steam makes the fabric wet but the heat from the steam press dries it immediately, and we are left with clothes that are not just wrinkle-free, but also feels cleaner and fresher.
How to Use a Steam Press?
Steam press machines are usually portable, which means that you can store them anywhere - inside your closet, in a drawer, under the bed or in a corner - and take it out only when you need to use it.
A steam press is usually much larger than a conventional household iron, which means that you need to place it on a flat and preferably sturdy surface, i.e. a table or a counter.
If you don’t have any tables or counters available, most steam presses can also be used on a bed, a couch or someplace similar. As long as you can accommodate the entire pressing area on a single surface, there won’t be any problem with using the steam press.
The following steps describe the use of a steam press machine for your daily ironing.
- Take out the steam press machine and place it on the surface of your preference.
- Connect it to a source of electricity.
- Check the water tank. Most steam press machines come with a water tank that you can take out to refill. The water inside is converted into steam for your ironing, so it is very important that your tank has enough water in it. You might not need to fill up the tank every time you want to use the steam press; you only need to make sure there’s enough water inside to last the number of clothes you want to press. You can remove and refill the water tank anytime you want to, in the middle of your pressing.
- Wait for the steam press and the water tank to heat up. Usually, most machines take less than 3 to 5 minutes to heat up.
- Open the lock of the steam press, which is usually on the handle or around it. The lock helps to carry your steam press around in your hand without the two parts suddenly opening up.
- Use the temperature control board to select the kind of fabric you want to press. You can change the type of fabric any time, even during pressing.
- Pull up the top portion of the steam press. Usually, it is free standing, so that you’ll have both your hands free.
- Place one of your clothes on the lower part of the steam press. This is usually made from Teflon or other non-stick material, so there’s no chance of your clothes burning. As long as you have chosen the appropriate fabric type, your clothes will be completely safe inside the steam press.
- Make sure that the clothing has been spread evenly inside the steam press. Only the part of the cloth that’s resting on the pressing surface will get the steam and the heat, and the part hanging out of the press will need to go inside the next time.
- So, if your clothes fit inside the pressing area, you can press the whole thing with a single press; if it is too big or hangs out the sides, you’ll need multiple presses on the same piece of clothing.
For bigger materials such as a bed sheet or drapes, you might have to fold the piece of clothing horizontally so that the breadth fits in snugly inside the team press. The length of the fabric might need several pressings for the job to finish.
Alternatively, if you are pressing something small, i.e. ribbons, ties, socks, underwear or screen printed t-shirts you can press multiple pieces of fabric at the same time, as long as they are all resting on the pressing surface.
- Lower the top part of the steam press on your clothes when you are ready. Don’t lower it completely; keep a slight gap of around 75mm between the two parts of the steam press to release the steam.
- The steam button(s) are usually around the handle of the steam press machine. Pushing the button will release a burst of steam on your clothes that will wet the fabric. This is very important in removing wrinkles from your clothes. Although steam is important in removing wrinkles, you can use the steam press without the steam option. If you don’t push the buttons, the steam press will iron your clothes with heat and pressure, without the steam. However, if you want steam, this is the step to push the button(s) to release the steam on your clothes.
- Lower the top portion or the lid of the steam press completely on the bottom portion and apply slight pressure. Most of the times, you won’t have to apply any pressure on the bottom part and the steam press will automatically do so itself.
- Pull up the top portion of the steam press after waiting a few seconds, ideally 6 to 10 seconds. If your clothes haven’t been properly de-wrinkled, you can repeat the last two steps, which is unlikely. If your cloth is still wet, you can lower the top portion again and use the heat to dry your clothes completely. This time, don’t press the steam button(s) to release the steam.
- Repeat the same process with all your clothes until you are done.
Remove the plug from the electrical source, and keep the steam press open. Allow it to cool down slightly before putting it back inside the storage unit. Although it is not necessary to let it cool down completely, it might be the safer choice. Take it out again when you need the steam press the next time.
Whether you are looking for the best steam press for your personal use or for professional use, one of these models would make your job extremely easy. These steam models can be used to press your personal and household clothes, and remove any traces of wrinkles from them.
Your clothes would be forever fresh looking and wrinkle free with any one of these steam press irons, and it’s not going to take very long.
All in all, a steam press machine is quite a practical and intelligent investment for your home or for your business.